|Topic:||LONE-TAR Data Encryption||Article Bookmarks|
|YouTube Video||How to activate encryption with LONE-TAR|
One of the great features of LONE-TAR that you cannot get with open-source backup software, is our HIPPA compliant encryption module. Our module uses 256bit AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) to encrypt your data. All you have to do is setup a pass-phrase that is easy to remember by the user but hard for a hacker to crack. Once a pass-phrase is entered for your device, all backups to that device will be encrypted and cannot be read without decryption first.
Pros to using data encryption:
- Protects your data from prying eyes.
- You can take backup media off-site when using encryption without free of exposing your data.
- Protect your data from internal sabotage.
- Safe from lost or stolen backup media.
Cons to using data encryption:
- Forgetting the pass-phrase
- Tendency for backup times to increase by 6%